J Mould (Reading) were awarded the sub-contract by Glanville Projects, on behalf of Mays Properties. We were instructed to act as Principal Contractor for the project to demolish the existing buildings on the Fairacres Industrial Estate in sequence as released by the client.
The buildings consisted of steel framed warehouses, with a mixture of brick infill and corrugated Iron sheets. One of the warehouses had an asbestos sheet roof which was taken off by hand under controlled conditions and removed to a licensed waste facility. The warehouse with the asbestos roof sheets was also in close proximity to a live road so a scaffold protection was erected prior to demolition works commencing.
The slab was made up of concrete, with sections utilising asbestos sheets as shuttering, which again was removed under controlled conditions to a licensed waste facility.
The preparation and works carried out were
• Set up site welfare facilities
• Secure site with Heras fencing and hoarding
• Remove licensed and non-licensed asbestos to a licensed waste facility
• Soft strip all internal non-structural items and remove for recycling or a licensed waste facility
• Erect scaffolding to act as protection to a live road
• Demolish buildings using demolition rigs fitted with demolition attachments
• Removal of slabs, footings and foundations
• Testing tarmac to remain on site for presence of coal tar
• Crushing of demolition arisings to a Type 1 specification
• Removal of all demolition hardcore arisings from site to a recycling facility
• Provide security throughout the project
• Leave site clean and tidy
• Provide relevant information to be included in the health and safety file